We are looking for Student Ambassadors to join the Monterey Bay Economic Partnership’s (MBEP) workforce development initiative team, which seeks to create positive change through collaborative approaches that bring new resources to the region, amplify the impact of best practices, encourage the growth of start-ups and other companies, and help ease the transition of students to the workforce. Learn more about what we do here.
We are looking for students with a passion for community outreach and education to be leaders at their college campus and in the community to help educate and share the free college and career resources offered on Monterey Bay Career Connect with students, staff, families, student organizations, etc.
How do you do this in the wake of COVID-19? We are looking for students who want to adjust and adapt, get creative and mobilize online tools and resources with our team during this time! Since most of our outreach and education takes place in the form of in-person events, career fairs, networking mixers, workshops and presentations, which have all recently been cancelled, we are looking for students who are curious in taking some of these online while building your skillset to organize and execute remotely! We’re able to provide the infrastructure and organizational culture to support virtual meetings and webcasts to continue our work. We have other projects that could be done remotely as well.
What does the 2020 schedule look like?*
*We are accepting applications year-round so the schedule will be adjusted to your start date
- Upon acceptance: assess and identify interest areas and initiative priority areas w/staff member, attend online orientation and training, complete internship agreement and initial scope of work online, coordinate hours with Supervisor by phone/email
- During internship: identify, develop and execute work-based project(s) or research w/supervisor, attend online/phone check-ins, fulfill deliverable deadlines, participate in online events and professional development opportunities as needed/when available
- Upon internship completion: submit deliverables & summary brief for our newsletters, submit rewards checklist to qualify for stipend and certificate, participate in exit interview (by phone/online)
Get access to MBEP Events (optional):
- April 29, 2020: MBEP Economic Summit Live-Stream (half-day)
- Dec 2, 2020: MBEP State of the Region (full-day)
- Dec 3-4, 2020: CA Economic Summit (full-day)
We provide the following opportunities:
- You will be recognized and featured on our website and on a rotating basis in MBEP’s workforce development newsletter with the option to write an article about your experience
- With over 85 MBEP members in the region, we can introduce you to a wide network of industry professionals (virtually for now)
- You will have access to career readiness resources and support and we are available to assist with resumes, cover letter, and letters of recommendation
- We will support students for course credit if applicable
- You will have the option to attend MBEP’s full-day & half-day conferences for free ($150 value)
Steps to Apply:
- Review the information on Monterey Bay Career Connect to familiarize yourself with the resources we provide, if you’re interested in what you see, apply!
- Submit your resume and paragraph that addresses the following:
- Describe why you are interested in becoming a Student Ambassador
- Describe any relevant experience and/or skills you have with events, student outreach, and/or networking
- Indicate your weekly availability
For more information, please visit our Student Ambassadors page on Monterey Bay Career Connect.
- Attend online orientation and training
- Attend online check-in meetings
- Participate in at least two workforce development promotional activities per quarter/semester
- Post to our social media channels
- Stay informed about active internship postings on Monterey Bay Internships to share with students
- Attend professional networking events to share Monterey Bay Internships with employers (when possible)
- Attend MBEP's events if schedule allows
About Monterey Bay Economic Partnership
Monterey Bay Economic Partnership (MBEP) is a regional member-supported nonprofit organization consisting of public, private and civic entities located throughout the counties of Monterey, San Benito and Santa Cruz. Founded in 2015, our mission is to improve the economic health and quality of life in the region.